Wolfe Ranch Cabin, September 24, 2007
The cabin was built in 1906 out of Fremont cottonwoods.
The Wolfe Ranch, also known as Turnbow Cabin, is located in Arches National Park near Moab, Utah, U.S.
John Wesley Wolf settled in the location in 1888 with his oldest son Fred. A nagging leg injury from the Civil War prompted Wolf to move west from Ohio, looking for a drier climate. He chose this tract of more than 100 acres (0.40 km2) along Salt Wash for its water and grassland – enough for a few cattle. The Wolfes built a one-room cabin, a corral, and a small dam across Salt Wash. For more than a decade they lived alone on the remote ranch. In 1906, Wolf’s daughter Flora Stanley, her husband, and their children moved to the ranch. Shocked at the primitive conditions, Stanley convinced her father to build a new cabin with a wood floor.
The ranch on Salt Wash was established about that time under the Bar DX brand. With the arrival of Wolfe’s daughter and son-in-law in 1906, the newer, surviving structures were built. However, the Stanley family moved to Moab in 1908. The family sold the ranch in 1910 and returned to Ohio. John Wolfe died on October 22, 1913, in Etna, Ohio at the age of eighty-four.
Gallery: Arches National Park
See more of our Image Galleries at Haw Creek.