21st Century Digital #12
Interior of the box at Ford’s Theatre where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, Washington, D.C.
Highsmith, Carol M, photographer. Interior of the box at Ford’s Theatre where Abraham Lincoln was assassinated, Washington, D.C., 2007. Photograph retrieved from the Library of Congress, www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2010630766/. (Accessed March 01, 2017.)
Call Number: LC-DIG-highsm- 04782 (ONLINE) [P&P]
- After Booth shot Lincoln he lept on the stage from Lincoln’s box, breaking his leg. As he ran from the stage, some heard Booth shout “sic semper tyrannus,” which is Latin for “thus always to tyrants.”
- Title, date, and subjects provided by the photographer.
- Credit line: Carol M. Highsmith’s America, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
- Gift and purchase; Carol M. Highsmith; 2009; (DLC/PP-2010:031).
- Forms part of: Carol M. Highsmith’s America Project in the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.
Highsmith, a distinguished and richly published American photographer, has donated her work to the Library of Congress since 1992. Starting in 2002, Highsmith provided scans or photographs she shot digitally with new donations to allow rapid online access throughout the world. Her generosity in dedicating the rights to the American people for copyright free access also makes this Archive a very special visual resource
Note – This image has been digitally adjusted for one or more of the following:
- fade correction,
- color, contrast, and/or saturation enhancement
- selected spot and/or scratch removal
- cropped for composition and/or to accentuate subject matter
- straighten image