Photography Now & Then #20
Today’s photo1: Decaying home, Pope County, Arkansas, January 20, 2018 (Pentax K-3 II)
When we first moved to Arkansas over 37 years ago, this house was obviously abandoned, but mostly intact. Over time, it became more and more dilapidated. Trees, brush and vines grew up around it, eventually obscuring all but a portion of the roof. Then, that, too, disappeared in the vegetation. The house was invisible even in the winter after leaves had dropped.
In the later half of 2017, we noticed that brush and trees on the property was being cleared. The house once more appeared, obviously more decayed than when it had last been visible. The land is on the market, zoned as commercial highway frontage.
Photo Favorite2: Grumpy’s Taxi – a modified Checker Taxi A series sedan, Silverton, Colorado September 28, 2015 (Pentax K-3 II)
Grumpy’s Restaurant and Saloon 3, 4
Built in 1882, the 37 room Grand Imperial Hotel is undergoing a complete room renovation restoring her back to her original splendor. In the lobby is Grumpy’s Restaurant and Saloon, serving great food and providing a place to relax after a day of exploring all that Silverton and the San Juan Mountains has to offer. The owners of the Durango & Silverton Railroad purchased the hotel in the spring of 2015. The modified Checker taxi is used as advertising for Grumpy’s.
Checker Marathon Taxi 5, 6
The Checker, particularly the 1959–82 Checker A series sedans remain the most famous taxi cab vehicles in the United States. The vehicle is comparable to the London Taxi in its nationally renowned styling, which went largely unchanged since 1959 to keep production costs down.
- Today’s Photo is a photo that is almost always taken the day of the blog post. In some instances, posts may be backdated if internet access is not available on the day of the photo or other reasons prevent posting Now and Then.
- Photo Favorite is a randomly selected older photograph from a batch of photos specifically “curated” for Now and Then.
- Grand Imperial Railroad – Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- About the Hotel – Grand Imperial Hotel website
- Checker Taxi – Wikipedia
- Checker Marathon – Wikipedia
Note: Reference links were accessed on the date the blog post was published, unless otherwise stated.